Over 70 years, Providence has grown and changed to meet the needs of Calgary families. From a population of less than 100,000 in 1943, to over a million people spread over 835 square kilometers in 2013, Calgary has kept the best of its western heritage, but become so much more. And Providence has done the same. From its roots as a foster home for abandoned children, Providence has kept pace with a growing population and the changing needs of the community.
Providence was four years old in 1947, when oil was discovered in our province. We were five years old when the Calgary Stampeders won their first Grey Cup, 21 when Peter’s Drive Inn opened, 24 when the Calgary Tower was built, and 45 when the Olympics came to town in 1988.
- 1943 – A foster home for children is founded by Mrs. Herman Stevens and a host of Calgary and area women. The Sisters of Providence then take on responsibility.
- 1950 – Providence Creche continues to care for children and to aid unwed mothers.
- 1958 – Construction of new Providence Creche at current Windsor Park location.
- 1969 – Providence Creche Society takes over management, with a non-sectarian board of directors.
- 1971 – Providence Creche officially renamed Providence Child Development Centre.
- 1986 – Unwed mother’s home closes
- 1987 – Early Intervention Program (for children aged 19 mos. – 30 mos.) opens
- 1995 – Outreach Program (assessment and treatment in daycare facilities) begins
- 1999 – Community services program (group homes) closes
- 2001 – Daycare programs close – therapeutic and educational services for preschool-aged children continues as the main focus
- 2003 – Falconridge. Bowness and Woodlands Schools open
- 2004 – Beddington School opens
- 2005 – Woodlands School closes
- 2007 – Midnapore School opens, Bowness School closes
- 2008 – Hawkwood School opens
- 2011 – First purpose-built school opens in McKenzie Towne.