Top 5 Tips to Help Your Child Speak More Clearly
- Don’t always have the child correct the sound they mispronounced. Instead, repeat the word making the sound they mispronounced louder and longer than the others in the word.
- Read books with the target sound in them (e.g. Good night moon for the “g” sound).
- Read books and change the names of the characters to include sounds they frequently mispronounce.
- Create special word lists of 5 mispronounced words and have the child only correct those words.
- Practice the target sound for short periods of time (i.e. 5 min) throughout the day (e.g. say the sound as you are cleaning up).